Wednesday, February 17, 2010

07. lets get busy

I did not have very much to do before I came to Scotland. In fact from November-January my life basically consisted of retail work, eating cheeseburgers in the food court where my retail work was located, eating cheese and drinking beer at home, getting fat (comparatively, no one start yelling at me about body issues okay?), whining about getting fat (comparatively!), reading Dorothy Sayers detective novels, and watching bad TV. Going out and having fun was my “job” after retail hell ended and finding ways to have fun was my only occupation. I was something like a Victorian heroine, or, not the heroine but the ladies around her who had nothing to do but devise amusements because they don't have the distraction of being a governess or finding Epic Love or fighting destiny or being a symbolic object or whatever. It was stultifying. I am really, really surprised, however, that now that things are picking up here I don't really miss it because I am very, very lazy by nature. Which is all a long-winded way of saying that classes are picking up, I've joined societies (they call them that rather than clubs here) and I am now actually obligated to do more than laze and...that's perfectly okay with me. Weird.

Part of this may be that I am now quite familiar with St. Andrews. I understand the (not so crazy after all) medieval town structure. I have my favorite coffee shop, I know how to find my room in my enormous dorm, I know the character of all the pubs, and I have a routine down for my days. I have also come to love cooking for myself. I'm not good at it by any means but I find that making a proper meal for yourself makes eating a lot more satisfying somehow and I do make proper, if easy to prepare meals. Last night was chicken kiev, steamed vegetables, and some white wine. Tonight is pasta with marinara sauce, more steamed vegetables, and white wine. Basically I think I'm pretty cool because no part of my meal involves adding water and microwaving.

This weekend I'm going down to visit my friend Alicia in Edinburgh who intended to study abroad fall semester and whom the Scottish still haven't been able to kick out of their country. We'll be spending Friday in the city then exploring some highlands places with her friends Saturday and Sunday which should be awesome.

And now...pictures! I have eighty million so this post will be confined to photos of the town.


Haggis. I totally ate it.


Plaques like this one about protestants and catholics going "You suck," "No YOU suck," "I am going to kill you horribly," "Yeah well I'm going to kill your mom horribly," are all over town. This makes me picture ancient Scotland as a ye olde version of middle school except with, like, beheadings instead of slam books.



The mean streetz of St. Andrews



Some of the buildings here are, like, really old and stuff.


Cool old graveyard




The harbor. I plan on coming down here lots in the summer-ish months to eat ice cream at the stand there and visit the ducks.






Going down to, at, and then walking back up from the little beach right across the street from my Scottish Fiction class where I finish my coffee before going in.

Scottish people I have met: 2 (everyone is British!)
Pub crawls survived: 3
Out of town excursions: 1 (Dundee)
Places I want to go over Easter break: Ireland in general, London, Paris, Normandy, Florence, Berlin
Probability I will be able to do this: High, actually!

2 comments:

  1. good stuff, I have found that being busy with stuff you like is energizing, resting too much actually makes you more tired, but the worst of all is being really busy in things you don't like to do. Thanks for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great pix!!! I see what you mean about all the beautiful, magical bits you come across here and there coming together in St. Andrew's. And my idea of heaven - coming out of [well, enjoying your coffee first] your fave coffee shop, pausing to gaze at the North Sea and absorbing all those happy negative ions that improve your mood, then engaging your brain in a Lit class :-)BTW, how's the coffee? P.S. I'm very impressed at your self-cooked menu

    ReplyDelete